Saturday, May 15, 2010

Identity Formation and Video games

Inspired by an in class presentation on Wed. I began to think about (again) the issue of identity formation in MMORPGs. Recently video game addiction has become a rather hot topic among psychologists. Millions of people are spending hundreds of millions of hours in these online worlds. Now much of the older generation does not seem to understand the draw of a world that seems to have no tangible impact in our daily lives. But yet millions continue to play and pay-to-play, so there must be something that this online virtual world is doing to the fulfill the needs of so many people. I have many theories as to what the video games do for its players, but I will discuss only identity formation here.

The human identity is formed by the interaction of the person's environment and genetics. So one could say that in a way, we do not much have control over how we develop as people. Our genetics are predetermined by our parents and our environment at the earliest stages in life are already set as well. Some people had good experiences and others have not so great ones. There are countless permutations that are demonstrated in both and similarities and differences of all the people you meet today. So how does this relate to video games?

Well these virtual worlds offer players the chance to determine their own identities within a virtual world. This world has its rules and laws like our society, but the people are allowed to control their character from the very beginning of their "virtual life". From there the MMORPG allows them to customize their character to the minutest details to make them unique. Within that world through time and dedication, these players can build themselves up to be powerful players within the game. Former predetermined real world identities such as race, ethnicity, social class etc. do not matter in the game. In the MMORPG you can be whoever you want to be. It is this anonymity coupled with the control over ones identity that brings people to the game. They are freed from the real world's constraints and are playing god over their tiny avatar. Some may feel that within this game they have the chance to be who they want to be.

This can be especially attractive to those who feel uncomfortable in their own real-life identities. These people are the most at-risk of a video gaming addiction. Some recent stories paint a rather grim picture.

The video game addiction:
A case of a South Korean boy
Shanghai Star: Taiwanese boy
Sentenced to life
Don't take them away
Real life loot
Father's neglect

My next entry: Games and their social implications.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot understand why some people can addict playng video games. Is the game very interesting? or they jsut want to run away from the real world? many news reported that some people forgot to eat and sleep becasue they kept playing video or online games. Maybe I am not interested in playing those games, I cannot appreciate....I cannot understand what they thought...

Zenyatta Calstatela said...

Ok, Doc. I'll lay on the couch and tell you my problems...but don't get any ideas!

Many years ago I had a computer chess addiction that I was only able to quit by stopping to play chess entirely. Unlike your description of these other video games, the chess game was basic and did not let me pick characters or have much control. I could only select the level of play. When I got to the higher levels, I became obsessed with beating the crap out of that &$#@!() %%#$* computer. Oh, sorry for the language, I had a flashback for a second. I stopped sleeping, ate nothing, drank little, stopped exercising, even turned down sex from my concerned wife...imagine that!!!! Looking back, I must have been really fu$#*$& crazy!

OK, Doc, what is my cure? Or am I cured since this has not happened since decades ago. They say talking to a shrink helps...but now I just have an urge to go out and whip a computer at chess at level 6!!! And I owe you how much money???? Now who is crazy?

PS - Doc, when are you going to talk about and give advice to Tiger Woods about his sex addiction.

Me said...

Kind of a disturbing trend. Some of the kids I work with play lots and lots of video games, and one thing we talk about is how violent they are, and what kind of effect that can have on people.

It's hard to determine if they are getting desensitized to violence because of that, or maybe that's not even a question. Maybe it's about what the violence in gaming does to their overall psychological welfare?

I love games at times, but I also think it's dangerous to constantly ignore reality and escape into a safe, fantasy world. But I also can't blame someone for wanting to feel a sense of safety and belonging.

Tomgirl said...

Reply to Me:

Well as far as the fear of violence in video games impacting kids negatively, aka desensitizing to and/or encouraging violent behavior. The many research studies have been inconclusive on this point. They have been studies that support both sides of the argument. Personally, I think a child raised in a healthy loving and well structured environment would be very unlikely to become more aggressive due to just video games. One also has to consider the environmental characteristics of those who spend a significant amount of time on games.

Me said...

Yeah there's always been that conundrum. Is it that people with violent tendencies get drawn to the games, and the games make it better/worse?

I'm a bit concerned by kids spending too much time staring at screens and not getting out enough. I guess that goes for technology in general, it can lead to amazing things, but it also seems to dehumanize us at times. People would rather email or text than speak on the phone or in person. We seem to be losing something in that way. But that's a pretty abstract issue.

Molly said...

I think one of my nephews might be addicted to video games because he spends a lot of time on the computer and his mom is very upset about it. I am concerned too, because at his age I had already taken on so many responsibilites such as college, work, driving my mom around because she didn't drive, running errands etc. It saddens me that so many people are addicted to these games, but it seems to me that now that we are living in the "digital" age, sometimes it seems like people are not really "available". You almost have to stay in touch through the computer. Have you noticed this too?